It is a legal requirement to have a work permit to work in Vietnam. The easiest way to do this is to have both a BA degree and a TEFL qualification. While the law does not state which TEFL you must have, the reputable language centres which provide you with a work permit do.
An acceptable TEFL qualification for almost all reputable language centres must be a 120 hour course (minimum) and have at least 6 teaching hours which are observed by a trained ESL professional.
Example courses which are internationally recognised are the following:
150 hour Australian Cert IV in TESOL- Accredited in Australia by a registered training organisation (RTO) through the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF).
120 hour CELTA- accredited in the UK by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) at Level 5 on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF).
Trinity CertTESOL course- accredited by the UK, by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority at Level 5 on the UK National Qualifications Framework.
(You can get a work permit by yourself without assistance from your language centre but it is costly, timely and extremely difficult. (Also, you need to question the quality of such language centres if they are not prepared to offer you a work permit and/or don’t care if you have one of not).
Yes there are jobs available in Vietnam without a 120/150 hour course and without a recognised qualification and even without a TEFL all together. However – Will you be working legally? Will you be prepared to walk into the classroom and teach? Almost definitely not!
Georgie is extremely well versed in all things Vietnamese! She is an excellent communicator and has dealt with my endless questions swiftly and effectively; she is also very empathetic, encouraging and a great listener. There has been many a time when I have just wanted to hug her! I am so very thankful for the expert guidance and ongoing support.
The next step:
Teacher’s Friend can offer you the following study options:
Face to face:
A world class Cert IV TESOL qualification. It comes with an in-class, 150 hour, internationally recognised certificate that comes with a friendly welcome dinner, city tour and housing for the duration of your course included in the price.
This course has exactly the same content as the full face to face course but is delivered through fun interactive videos, motivational questions, insightful further readings and engaging, practical online assignments along with tutorial support.
Take the requirement checker to find out whether you are qualified to work legally in Vietnam, and how to get there!
Face to Face
The great thing about this course is that it will allow you to practise teaching a variety of age groups and levels, in particular kids, with a specific focus on classroom management. This is especially good for teaching in Vietnam where 90% of the jobs are for teaching 3-10 year olds in larger class sizes.
- 4 weeks TEFL training all in-class
- small class sizes- 17 max
- 8 hours of teaching practice with real ESL student
- 6 hours observing an experienced ESL teacher
- Written assignments
- Excellent facilities and resources
- Trainer with minimum 5 years of teaching experience
- Welcome meal
- City tour
- Free accommodation for the duration of the course
- Basic job assistance
- It will provide dedicated job assistance in Vietnam with a work permit and all of the required visas (if you are also a native English speaker with a degree)
- It will offer dedicated djob assistance all over the world because it is an internationally recognised qualification (if you are also a native English speaker with a degree)
- It focuses on teaching all ages, but in particular kids, which is perfect for Vietnam because it is the main age group
- The course leaders receive exceptional, second to none feedback and are really awesome!
- You will earn the money back for the cost of the course in just a few months of teaching in Vietnam because the wages are good and the cost of living is low
She is a great resource for contract review and negotiation and esl career advice. She reviewed my contract and terms and helped me secure a better offer: she also helped determine which city and neighborhood housing I should pick for housing.
The one and only resource for Vietnam teachers. Highly recommended.
Only $798 US
- 6 weeks high quality TEFL training
- Engaging extra reading material, interactive video content, mini practical assignments
- An experienced and motivating course trainer with at least 5 years of ESL teaching experience
- Assessment of all coursework and practical placement
- All of the detailed course content from the face to face course
- Work anywhere, anytime
- Minimum 8 hours of relevant teaching practice (organised yourself)
- Relevant written assignments to deepen your teaching knowledge
Practical Placement in Asia
Only $548 US
Choose whether to come to the brilliant Vietnam or amazing Cambodia for ten fun-filled days to complete your life-changing practical teacher training in the hustle and bustle of Hanoi, the city that never sleeps (HCM) or Phnom Penh with its rich history and beautiful people. Meet the friendly locals, befriend other like-minded teachers, teach happy local people, visit the fantastic schools and language centres and make amazing memories.
After completion, you can choose to get awesome job assistance and stay in Asia for a new life or fly feeling fulfilled back home to use your TEFL in your home country or online.
- Observation of engaging, experienced ESL teachers
- 8 hours of teaching practice with real ESL students, with professional feedback
- Comfortable accommodation for 10 nights in one of three amazing cities of your choice
- Dedicated job support in vibrant Ho Chi Minh, cultural Hanoi or fascinating Phnom Penh after course completion
Want extra support?
Find out more about TEFL certification plus full relocation and dedicated job assistance placement in a leading language centre of your choice!